Sunday, December 20, 2009

Impossible Encounters - Zoran Živković (translated by Alice Copple-Tošić)


buy - author site

The Deal: At this point in time, due to an RSI, I can only type for 10 minutes at a time. What you see below is what is hammered out before the timer goes off- and nothing more.

Okay, having glanced at Amazon and had a heartattack, I realise these books are expensive. I don't know how much I paid for them, as I picked them up at WFC where I'd given myself permission not to look at book prices. But OH EM GEE, these books are, they're just, so, I don't know, they're just, perfect, I love- if you can only afford one, get this one. Of the three, this was definitely my favourite, far and away.

Another fantastic little mosaic novel, it features encounters with- what? Encounters that are impossible, encounters that are from beyond the boundaries of what we have decided is reality and possibility, and yet remain within the realms of what we call ordinary. They're quiet and soft in the nature of the extraordinariness. Subtle, delicate, and unassuming.

The separate pieces are tied only in theme and the cameo appearance of a book - "Impossible Encounters" - in each, until the final story, which was just-

You know, I loved this little book so much that even a couple of weeks later I'm still giddy and babbling.

Oh! There were a couple of moments that had an inferred connection to The Fourth Circle, and you can't believe the squee I did at that. These are not simply mosaic novels, the novels themselves are part of the greater mosaic comprised of his various works-

I do believe I've fallen well and truly in love with Živković's writing.

Verdict: Oh, it's beautiful, and I think writers in particular will appreciate it. Genius, absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment