Sunday, December 04, 2011

ICELAND LAND OF ICE

HOLY MOLY I AM IN ICELAND ICELAND ICELAND.
THIS IS VERY EXCITING.

Landed at 6 in the morning, and it was full dark. To say the land was covered in snow, or that snow blanketed the land, or any other number of clichés would be correct but not fitting. THERE IS SNOW EVERYWHERE.
EV
ER
EE
WHERE
Which, for those of you who live in northern climbs is not such a big deal BUT I AM AUSTRALIAN AND THERE IS SNOW ON ALL THE THINGS.

The bus from the airport dropped me at my hostel around 8am, which is far too early for check in. I was more than happy to collapse on one of the many couches available for just such a purpose, but as it turns out, the dorm room I'm staying in is empty. Huzzah! So I was checked in right away. Huzzah! And it is still empty apart from me. Huzzah!

I really haven't done much of interest apart from locate a supermarket and acquire a power adapter (because yes, I managed to enter the country without one before hand, smart move asswipe). Exploration of Reykjavik is for today.

Here is a little taste of what is in store. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the view out my window;



And this is what greets me upon stepping out the front door of the hostel;



YES REALLY.

Nothing opens until 10am, which given my general attitude toward mornings, makes this country tailor made for me. Time difference saw me wake at 4. It is now 9.42 in the A of M, and the sky is only starting to get light.

5 comments:

  1. I understand your excitement, I was thrilled when I went to Christchurch and there was SNOWWWWWW!!!!! Totally turned into a wonder-filled child at the sight of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff, Tessa! Makes me almost feel I am there too! Of course all I can do at the moment is sleep in the chair, recovering from stupid surgery, but at least I can share in your stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ICELAND. Man, looking at your pictures makes me really miss it. All the snow! All the darkness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool! Enjoy your adventures in the land of ice and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poppy: Yes! I keep qoinq out of my way to walk throuqh unbroken powder, it's amazinq!

    Wordsmiff: Recovery swiftly.

    Alex: SNOW AND DARKNESS. AND MORE SNOW. AND MORE DARKNESS.

    Marian: Yes ma'am!

    ReplyDelete